An Advanced Learner Loan will cover the cost of your course (Tuition fees, registration fees and exams). It is easy to apply for, you will not be credit-checked or means-tested, and you can be working or unemployed. Plus, repayments don’t start until you are earning more than £26,575 per year.
There is a wide range of courses, from level 3 to level 6, which are designated for Advanced Learner Loans. We currently offer qualifications in the following sectors and we are constantly expanding our provision:
- NCFE Level 3 Diploma in Skills for Business: Human Resources
- ATHE Level 4 Diploma in Computing.
- Business Administration
- Digital Entrepreneurship
- Health and Social Care
- Customer Service
Obtaining a Level 3 qualification (e.g. Diploma or A Levels) is a worthwhile investment, as it will improve your chances of getting the job you want and earning a good wage.
You could progress up to a level 6 qualification. This is the equivalent of a degree, but at a fraction of the cost of University study.
You just need to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Aged 19 or over on the first day of your course
- A resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of the course
- A UK national or have ‘settled status’
- Enrolling on a course at Level 3 or above, which is designated for Advanced Learner Loans
You can check your eligibility by visiting http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/allEligibility/index.html
You can apply online – https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login (You may need to create an account first)
You will need the following for your application:
- A Learning and Funding Information letter (from your training provider)
- Your National Insurance number
- Proof of identity (e.g. passport or birth certificate)
You will receive a letter confirming your loan – usually within two weeks if you apply online (postal applications take longer).
1. You begin to repay the loan through the tax system when you complete the course and earn more than the repayment threshold. Please visit https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan for more information.
For further information about Advanced Learner Loans, please refer to the
National Careers Service website https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/